Tuesday, October 30, 2012

"We're Going To See Obama!"

When I heard that President Obama was having a rally in our town, I knew that I wanted to be there. It turned out to be a pretty rough day, but seeing the President speak was an experience that I am so proud my children witnessed.

I am going to try to keep things less political and more about our experience attending the rally.

We carpooled with another amazing, homeschooling family that we love dearly- arriving at one of the shuttle pick-up locations at 7:00am. When we parked, Rainbow Girl asked "Is this the President's house?" (It was a baseball stadium) The first shuttle was due to arrive at 7:30am, but did not arrive until 8:45. Everyone had formed a very organized line, but when that first shuttle arrived- stopping at the end of the line and letting those people on....the folks at the front of the line were unhappy to say the least. This led to everyone rushing to the side of the road and smushing up against one another, ready to jump on the next bus. I was very thankful that Sugar Bear was letting me wear him in the sling and that Rainbow Girl was sticking close together.





Finally, we got on a shuttle that was to take us to the rally. Rainbow Girl and her friend began to chant "We're going to see Obama! We're going to see Obama!" Not long after, I saw the location of the rally, but we just kept going until we were finally dropped off at the end of the very long line. The kids did wonderful in the four our wait to get inside the park, Sugar Bear even falling asleep. That is, until we were funneled into a road an told to smash together until we were "curb to curb". Rainbow Girl and her buddy did not care for being smashed, and for a little while, I was holding both of my kids- as was the other mommy. 


Shortly after we were dropped off.


Patiently waiting.


Four kids, two mommies.

Finally, we made it to the security gates. They had us throw away any and all food or water we had (unless you are diabetic), take out all of our electronic devices and walk through a metal detector gate. I had my iPhone, and both of my kids also have iPhones. Sugar Bear had Curious George planing on his phone when he handed it over. The officer watched it for a few seconds before saying, "There's Curious George, getting in to trouble again." They did not however, check my bag or make me take Sugar Bear out of the ring sling. I asked if he wanted me to take the sling off, and his reply, although convenient for me, was not very high security. Not what one would expect at an event with the President of the United States. "Does he have a bomb in there?" My reply was a surprised, "No." He then said, "That's good enough for me."

We assumed, because we weren't allowed to bring food in, that there would be concessions inside. They would not have thousands of people wait around for hours with no way to get back to their car without having food, right? Not to mention the killing they could have made selling food.

No. There was no food. I was not prepared for that. At our arrival into the park, Rainbow Girl and Sugar Bear had not eaten for four and a half hours. That was already a very long time, but the girls were excited to finally be inside and happily playing. Sugar Bear was nursing more than usual, but I was ok with that.






After about 20 minutes, Rainbow Girl crashed. Sorrow, tears; she just wanted something to eat. Never in her life has she had to go hungry and she did not know how to deal with it. I did not know how to deal with a hungry child. I had no food for her. What was I suppose to do? My mama friend said we could always leave, start walking back and try to find some food. However, we were miles and miles from our car and we would not be let back into the rally. 

Rainbow Girl was not doing well. We needed to find something for her to eat. I went to find the medical personelle. Surely they would have something. I asked them if they had anything, perhaps something they would give to someone having diabetic problems. No, they said. They had nothing. In tears, (both her and I) we walked to the water bottle distribution area to get some more water. The woman in charge of the water asked us what was wrong. When I told her, she went scrounging in her purse. Out she came with a chocolate chip Cliff bar. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. I offered to pay her for it, she refused payment. I thanked her profusely and walked back to our area where I rationed the bar between the kids, saving some more for later. In about 20 minutes, Rainbow Girl bounced back.


Making signs with her friend.

Tired baby.

Finally, ( I know I am using that word a lot in this post, but that was the theme of the day) it appeared that the program was beginning. We said the pledge of allegiance and sang the national anthem- then waited more for the first speaker to come out.


Then her dear friend crashed as well.



"Where is Obama?!?!"

There were a few local residents to speak then another hour wait. Congressman Bobby Scott then spoke, followed by Tim Kaine and then Senator Mark Warner who introduced President Barack Obama. (There was 30 minutes - an hour between speakers)



If you squint, you can see him directly below that scissor tower.

Picture from President Obama's Facebook. 15,000 people rallied together to support our president in re-election.



Nursing during Obama's speech.

"We don't turn back. We look forward at that distant horizon, at the next destination," Obama said. "Our destiny is not written for us — it's written by us and we're going to write that next chapter together."

"Virginia, I believe in you," Obama said. "I'm asking you to keep believing in me."
We left the rally a few minutes early in hopes to get to the shuttles before most. Many other folks had the same plan- and the organization of the shuttle loading was non existant. They had us form a line- and then moved us- and then told us that we were in the wrong line- and then back again to the first place. It was a huge mess. Busses would arrive and stop down the road from the organized lines were they let on folks who ad rushed down the road to meet said bus. Everyone was angry, tired, hungry and confused. 


The experience reminded me of the loading of the lifeboats on Titanic. A bus drove by the front of the line and someone yelled, "That bus still has some seats!!!!" The man organizing the shuttle loading yelled, "Everyone back up!!!!" 

Skylar's friend's Grandma has diabetes, and because of that, we were all finally acknowledged and allowed on a bus after waiting in the front of the first line for over an hour. We arrived at our car eight hours after leaving it.

Picture from the bus. (Messy windows)

Nothing very new was said at the rally, and just like many I am very tired of the campaign with all the lies and nastiness. The organization of the rally was terrible. That being said, I was still glad that I had brought my children to this historical event. Especially when Rainbow Girl said. "Mom, thank you for taking me to see the President!"

[Next time I am told that no food is allowed somewhere, I'm smuggling some in and saying I'm diabetic.]

1 comment:

  1. Neat experience for you all!
    This reminds me so much of when we went to his inauguration. The only difference was that is was freezing (and we forgot my oldest daughters mittens...great parents). Just like your experience, no food, no bathroom for hours and hours of walking and waiting, etc.
    If you want you can read it here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/kimberley-moyer-coake/our-inauguration-experience-with-pictures/60932091065

    ReplyDelete