Saturday, January 4, 2014

Our Waldorf Inspired, Simple Christmas, 2013

It has been two years since we began the process to simplify our home and eliminate as many plastic toys as possible. To my delight (and relief) the kids love the toys that we have. Sugar Bear specifically really thrives on having less toys around. With a big pile of toys, he tends to just throw them all around. With just a few, simple toys, his imagination awakens.

Last Christmas, Santa brought lots of supplies and toys for us to make the big transition from Crayola and plastic to Stokmar, wood, silk, and wool. We are still using all of the craft supplies that we got last year and they likely have many years left in them! Really, everything that Santa brought last year is still on the top of the favorites list. 

That said, I knew that this year would be very minimal. They really don't need anything. There were two main requests this year; Rainbow Girl wanted the American Girl, Kit, and Sugar Bear wanted a new wooden sword.

I had mixed feelings about the American Girl doll. On one side, I always wanted an AG doll. I had a gorgeous, high quality doll as a child, but there was always something special about the AG dolls. I love the historical stories that go along with the dolls, and Rainbow Girl wanted to know everything about them. On the other side, they are plastic. I have tried very hard to keep the plastic toys out. Also, I just made the kids Waldorf dolls last year! 


When it came down to it, both of the children's wishes were granted. Rainbow Girl got Kit, an American Girl Doll. Sugar Bear received a beautiful handmade sword, made by the same mama who made many of the toys that we ordered last year. (She even blunted the tip a little extra for me by request.) 

The big gift for both of them was the playstand, an item that I have been wanting to add to our story telling routine for some time now. It was very generously given to us by a friend who had scored a few in a wool trade. (Does it get any more Waldorfy than that??) I fixed it up with a new dowel and hardware and it was good to go. 

When I was at the Charlottesville Waldorf Holiday Bazaar earlier in the month, I was able to buy a few small gifts without the kids noticing. I scored a couple upcycled wool balls, playstand clips, Sarah's Silks garlands, and some beautiful postcards for our nature table. 

I purchased several small silks from a friend who dyes them in her home. They were very helpful in wrapping the small gifts, and are now a delightful addition to the silks collection. Santa brought several books as well as a Play Doh and glue restock. 

Sugar Bear received a handmade Brachiosaurus and T-Rex as well as a Melissa and Doug Latches Board.  

From our other Christmas celebrations, there were several favorites as well. My brother's very talented girlfriend made the children delightful stuffed loveys of their favorite things- a dinosaur and a pig. Namoo and Paka Jack gave them some beautiful Ostheimer figures

I needle felted them a wool meadow. This was my first time making a play mat- I definitely plan on making a couple more, they are very useful in story telling and imagination play. I am making a water scape next. 

This year, we gave everyone an assortment of vegan soaps made by Wink Soap. We wrapped them in the wrapping paper that the children made and the ropes that Rainbow Girl helped me crochet. 













We definitely had a beautiful Christmas and my children are very lucky to have such an understanding family who respects our wishes in gift giving.

In my next blog, I will talk about our three Christmas celebrations!

No comments:

Post a Comment