Friday, January 3, 2014

December 8-22, 2013 Wrapping Paper, Gingerbread Houses, and Reindeer!

Rainbow Girl asked me the week before if we could make our own wrapping paper this year. I thought that was a spectacular idea, especially after remembering the roll of brown packing paper I had saved from a package earlier in the year. 

I rolled out and cut a piece as big as the school table and let them at it with the water colors. While Sugar Bear stuck with abstract work, Rainbow Girl painted a few delightful Christmas scenes. 

Later that day, she helped me crochet some ropes to wrap around our gifts. 

That evening, we celebrated my Grandma's birthday at one of her favorite restaurants. 






As I mentioned in last week's blog, our city puts up a large array of Christmas decorations. We waited until the crowds had subsided a bit and went on a weeknight to visit the lights. We go every year and we always take a picture with the nutcracker, mail a letter to Santa in the Santa mailbox, use the super fancy Omni Hotel's bathroom...., and find Rudolph outside. This year, we also went into the building next door that had a very neat toy train display. 












A few days later, we built a ginger bread house as a family. We have made houses with kits before, but this kit from Sam's Club was really superb. The icing was quite nice and actually served as a very durable glue for the parts. Also, it came in two very sturdy icing bags, ready to go. This was the first time we used fondant on a house and it actually worked out pretty well. We were able to roll it out with our hands and cut it with scissors. 




The following weekend, we drove to my Grandma's house where my Aunt and Uncle from Missouri were visiting. It was wonderful to see them while they were in town. 





The next day, my grandma came into town to spend Christmas week at my parent's house. We started off her visit with a trip to one of our dear friend's (and our Daisy Leader) houses for her families Gingerbread House Building Party! This was a whole new experience and so different than building the house in the kit earlier in the week. We built this house log cabin style with LOTS of icing applied by paint brushes! The kids had a BLAST and I am so honored that we were asked to come participate. It was really neat doing it with four generations of my family as well. 






1 comment:

  1. I love both of your houses! So glad all four generations were able to come join us! I would love the close up picture of your house. I forgot to take one of your house before you left and would love to be able to use it in my scrapbook.
    KC

    ReplyDelete