Monday, August 11, 2014

Our May Day Celebration 2014

May Day has always been a favorite holiday of mine. Rainbows, Maypoles, dancing, love...what's not to love!? Last year was our first year celebrating with our beautiful Playgarden group. This year, we hosted at our house. 

I knew that I wanted to make an impressive Maypole, but I was not sure how to go about it. I considered erecting a temporary pole in the middle of my yard, but did not want to have a hole to fill up (nor did I want to dig it in the first place). The only other option was to use some preexisting, strong, vertical structure that wouldn't fall down under the stress of Maypole dancin'. 

The answer: a tree.

I bought several rolls of the least expensive ribbon at my craft store, and began decorating. I made sure that each length would be long enough to wrap around the tree many times, and nailed each length to the tree. I then wrapped white ribbon around the tops of all of the ribbons for added strength. My children had a blast trying it out. 

At our gathering, we had circle time, story time, and a feast of fruits before partaking in the dance of the Maypole. Everyone had an AMAZING time, and MUCH giggling took place.















No comments:

Post a Comment