Wednesday, August 27, 2014

My Blessingway, June 22, 2014

With my first two babies, I had pretty typical baby showers. I found out about Blessingways, or Mother's Blessings, not long after Sugar Bear's birth. Upon learning out about them, I was sad that I did not know about them before. I felt like I had missed out on a magical experience that I would never have for myself. In mourning that personal experience, I planned other friend's Blessingways, and it was wonderful to be able to give that gift to some treasured friends. 

Upon learning that I was expecting for the third time, I knew that I wanted to make sure to have a Blessingway. A dear friend of mine offered to plan it, and I looked forward to it so much!

I invited mothers that are very special to me. Some I have known for a very long time, some not so long. Some I see regularly, some very infrequently. The thing that they all had in common was that they all exude positivity, support, and love. I love all of them dearly, and I know they love me. Having a circle of women gather to celebrate my pregnancy, and strengthen me emotionally for birth was so empowering. 

I also decided to include Rainbow Girl in the rituals. She planned on being present at my birth, and being a young woman, I wanted her included in the circle of support and encouragement.

We had the local henna master, a friend of mine, come to the event and make beautiful art on everyone. This ritual made me feel so connected to everyone. I felt so blessed having my belly hennaed!










While I was being hennaed, my friends were gathered in my kitchen, each wet felting their own sheet of white felt. My wonderful hostess then threw them in the dryer to speed the felting process. After that, they cut circles out of their sheets, and needle felted them into flowers with red centers. These flowers would later be assembled into a crown for me.







Then came my favorite part of the evening. We turned off the lights, lit candles and incense and with me in the center, my friends gathered around me in a circle of love and support. They went around the circle and one by one shared a their blessings for my birth, an explanation of the bead(s) they had brought to add to my birth necklace, and shared a birth story. It was beautiful and so very empowering. 



After our circle, my birth necklace and crown was assembled. I can not tell you enough how much I love them both and will treasure each forever. They emanate love, positivity and strength.







I was so honored to have such a beautiful blessingway. When labor began, they were the women I notified first, and I could physically feel their love and support while laboring and birthing my sweet baby girl. I have such an amazing tribe.

Two days after my blessingway, I had a photoshoot done by my beloved, insanely talented brother. I am so thankful to have these images of myself. I never felt more beautiful, and having these pictures reminds me what great magic my body capable of. 




No comments:

Post a Comment