Thursday, May 9, 2013

April 1-7, 2013- Trip to Montpelier, Maroon 5

On April 1st, James Madison's Montpelier held their first ever Homeschool Day. We decided to go as a group with our Early Learning Circle gang and it was a wonderful experience. They had many activities and tours planned for guests, but we decided to take the adventurous route and just go off on our own for the most part. 













At lunch time, we enjoyed a lovely picnic together. Afterwards, we all took a trip down the road to Yoders Country Market. Yoders is a super fun place. They have tons of homemade goodies, bulk foods, meats, spices, cooking tools, and books. Outside, they have several animals for the kids to interact with. They have a very unique goat bridge from the goat's pen up on to a platform that the kids can send feed up to with a pulley system! 




After our Yoders experience  we parted with our Early Learning Circle friends and went to a local winery to meet my Grandma and Aunt for a tasting. It had been a long day, but the kids were really doing wonderful. Still, we set them up with shows on phones while we had adult time. The winery also had coloring books and cardboard for the kids to color on!


With the arrival of Spring, the kids and I have been making daily walks a part of our life. We all feel so much better after a walk- it is such a great way to start the day. I hope that once we get into this routine, we can continue it even when the weather gets brisk again.


On April 3rd, I went on a mini road trip with some amazing mama friends of mine. The end goal of the trip was to go see Adam Levine Maroon 5!

Getting to him them was quite an adventure though! We drove two hours, rode the metro- switched trains- rode again and finally made it to DC. We all went out to an amazing dinner, all got pretty intoxicated, and all made it across the street to the show, only missing the first opening act. (Owl City)

Neon Trees was ok. They put on a good show. I'll admit, I'm not into them, (girlfriend is shaking her Neon-Trees-loving-head now) they just don't do it for me.
***So, it turns out that I did not give them a fighting chance. I was mad at them for being on stage when Adam Maroon 5 should have been. I have since been enlightened. They are actually pretty awesome.***

However,  Adam Levine Maroon 5 was amazing. Unbelievable. Delicious. Exquisite. Epic. Let's just say, they did not disappoint. I mean, Adam Levine, come on. 

On the way back, once we finally got into the metro, we were packed even tighter with all the other Marooners trying to get home. In the end, I got home at 3:30 in the morning, and woke up at 5:30 with Sugar Bear. Super Mama.

Yes, we did have really far away seats for the show. Not too bad though, only 3 rows from the top..... We have already purchased closer tickets to the Adam Levine Maroon 5 concert in the fall. ^_^




They day after the concert, I was obviously exhausted. We admittedly watched a lot of TV and spent very little time in the school room. We did however have a hour long jam fest in the living room with guitars, mandolin, voices and bongos.




I even brought out my prized Korn autographed Telecaster, much to the delight of the kids.



The next day, we went with my super awesome special amazing friend and her fantastic son to see The Croods. It was a very well done movie, the kids all enjoyed it and the mommies were teary eyed. 



In celebration of my sister in law's upcoming wedding, her bridesmaids (myself included) threw her a lovely bridal shower. I had a book for guests to write their best relationship advice in, and we played a few games. 

One game was "musical candle". We turned on the music and passed the fancy candle around. When the music stopped, who ever was holding the candle was out. This continued until there was only one remaining, and that person won the candle! The other game we played was my favorite from my bridal shower (which my sister in law- my maid of honor- threw). That activity is "toilet paper bride". In this activity, obviously, we dress up the bride in a dress composed entirely of toilet paper! The kids LOVED helping in this process- and especially loved tearing it off of her when we were done- and then playing in the pile of paper.









On Sunday, we went to our favorite winery for an April Fool's Festival. The kid's love this winery because of the playground and the children. My mom and I love it because they have wonderful wine! 

It is a great place for the kids to meet "little-while friends" and super fun to sip wine with a picnic while the kids play!







No comments:

Post a Comment