Tuesday, December 4, 2012

November 19-25, 2012 (Thanksgiving)

You may notice- based on the pictures at least- that we only spend one or two days in our class room each week. Those days are usually spent alllllll day in there. (Minus meals and naps) The remainder of our week we spend outside, exploring the world. Between delivering produce, Girl Scouts, Spanish and Art class, getting together with friends, and unscheduled time (SO IMPORTANT!) - that's it! 

There is one day a week that my husband is off. We try not to plan anything on that day in hopes that we can spend time with him. Then there are three days a week that my mom is off. We try to spend time with her on at least one of those days- generally going shopping or on a fun outing. One day a week is spent delivering veggies, having a nap, and then heading to Girl Scouts. That only leaves three empty days!!! We have to manage our time wisely.

Unscheduled time is very important to me. I feel that is when my children can really be themselves and explore their creativity and imaginations to the fullest. Rainbow Girl wants to be enrolled in a sport, but with two extracurricular activities already, I've had to say no to that for the time being. 

This week, we worked on a few Thanksgiving crafts. One was a water colored turkey! I had the kids paint a half of a piece of water color paper brown, and then paint a full sheet whatever colors that they wanted. 


After they dried, I cut the brown paper into a shape of a bowling pin and the colored paper into feather shapes. I also cut out a triangle beak and a red wattle before gluing it all together. 


I ran across a couple of super cute heart stools at a yard sale a few months ago and thought that they would make great story time seats. All the needed was a bit of paint, and who better to paint them than those who would be putting their butts on them! 







They painted them with water colors. I have let them sit for several days to make sure they are completely dry, and I plan to finish them with beeswax.

Sugar Bear having a music show while Rainbow Girl finished painting.

Outside time is also very important here- even when it's very chilly!



Sugar Bear connecting clothes pins to my jacket.

After outside time, we went back into the classroom. We were going to do a cutting activity- but Sugar Bear's scissors were nowhere to be found! We always put the scissors back in the same place, and they weren't there- or anywhere in the room. I'm definitely not ready to give him big boy scissors, so off to Michael's we went. I needed a few other things, so I didn't feel bad making the trip down the road. Very much to my dismay, Michael's only had big kid scissors. Thankfully, Target was right next door and they had a great assortment of children's scissors. Sugar Bear was especially pleased that they had them in his favorite color.

The kids' favorite cutting activity is cutting free play. To do this, I give them their scissors, a bottle of glue each and an assortment of papers (including already cut up paper from precious cutting adventures). They go to town and just love it. This activity usually lasts thirty minutes to one hour.


Last week the kids painted watercolor paintings to be made into lanterns to celebrate Martinmas. This week, I put them together. They are very simple, but I'll tell you the process anyway. :) I meant to take step by step photos, but forgot! 

First, fold the painted paper in half lengthwise. Next, cut perpendicular to the fold every inch-inch and a half leaving about two inches uncut. Fold over the remaining uncut paper on either side. Open up your paper and then wrap it around, until the two shorter ends of the paper meet. I then used glue to attatch the ends together. Next, using some scrap paper from past projects, make a handle and a base. I used tape and glue to secure these two items. For the base, I made a circle with two inch wide tabs which I folded and taped on the inside of the lantern. 


After we finished constructing the lanterns and they were dry, I put in LED tea lights from halloween and we took an evening stroll through our yard. Rainbow Girl was so excited to be out in the yard, playing on her playset in the dark. Sugar Bear was a little apprehensive to be out in the dark. 








Most of my close friends know all about my recent need to purge items out of my house. I have massively minimized the toys around here, and have recognized that clothes are the next major problem. I decided to take every article of my clothing and pile them up in my living room. It was over seven baskets of clothes. I'm only telling this to you, and showing you a picture because you have to know where I started to see how fabulously I defeated it. I went through the pile, item by item, asking myself these questions:

  • Have I worn this in the last year?
  • Do I love how I look in this?
  • How many do I have of these (or something similar)? 



In the end, I brought two  baskets of clothes back up to my dresser, and donated the rest. Between my husband and I going through our clothes, I had seven bags and one box of clothes to donate. It is wonderful to be able to open and close my dresser drawers without having to shove things around to get it closed! It is also makes picking out clothes much easier when you don't have to dig through clothes that you know you don't want to wear- also, clothes minimizing helps a ton with laundry buildup. Now to do the same process with the kids. 




Thanksgiving!

I am thankful....

1) for our perfect home

2) to have heat and air conditioning

3) to be married to my best friend

4) for kale. <3

5) for my mom. the best mom and grandma in the world.

6) for my possessions. shallow, maybe, but I am thankful to have what I have.

7) for my health

8) for my children's health

9) for my husband. he's not perfect, but he's perfect for me. <3

10) I am SO thankful for my amazing friends. I have kept in touch with very few folks from school, but those that I have only met in the past few years are friends that I can see myself remaining close with for the rest of my life.

11) that people love, respect and are interested in me and my life so much that they read my blog every week!

12) for Sugar Bear. My snuggly soul mate. I see myself so much in his emotions. I love this sweet, sensitive boy, and he is a joy to watch grow up. <3 <3 <3

13) for homeschooling. I am so thankful that I have the option to educate MY children myself.

14) for the ability to be a stay at home mom. THIS is my dream career. THIS is what I have always wanted to do.

15) for Rainbow Girl. The most contrary person, but also the most amazingly intelligent, sweet, sensitive, loving human I know. <3 <3 <3

16) for having lived an amazing, healthy life with many years to come.

17) for bamboo fabric. so. soft.

18) or my amazing sister in law. she is CRAZY, but she is a GREAT sister. I was honored to have her as my maid of honor, and I'm looking forward to being a bridesmaid in her wedding next year! <3

19) for my mother and father in law. they respect my wishes and are wonderful grandparents to my babes!

20) for my grandparents in law- Nana and Grandpa. I love them and am so glad I am part of their family!

21) for YOU (whoever you are reading this, I love you!)

22) for my dad. I know he will always be there for me- and he can build or fix anything :) <3

23) for my Grandmas and my late Grandpas

24) for my family. My MANY wonderful aunts, uncles and cousins!

25) for silence and for trees

26) for my brother. he is fantastic. <3

27) to be living comfortably

28) to be able to give my children a glorious christmas

29) for elmer's glue

30) for chocolate, berries, and wine


This Thanksgiving was my first vegan major holiday. I started off the day by making Classic (VEGAN!) Cranberry Banana Bread from The Breakfast Bachelor. This blog is hilariously written. Here is an example of one of the steps. "(6.) Pour the batter into the loaf pan, even it all out, and cover the top of it with the sliced almonds. These will get all toasty brown in the oven and you will like it. Your friends will like it too." Love it. 

The bread was DELICIOUS. It was festive, beautiful, and hearty.


After breakfast, we headed to my parents' house. Once there, the kids worked on a turkey craft I had gotten at Michael's. 




After craft time, we all went outside for some fresh air and a walk/ride in the wagon.






My mom made a delicious vegan apple pie!

My brother, his girlfriend and I are all vegan. This year, one of our favorite vegetarian restaurants was offering vegan thanksgiving items for pre-ordering and picking up the day before Thanksgiving. We decided to take advantage of that and ordered lentil loaf, mashed potatoes, stuffing, root veggies, brussel sprouts, billy bread, vegan mac and cheese, and cranberry sauce. They were all fantastic! My mom made a small turkey for herself, my dad, and my hubs.

Every Christmas at my inlaw's house, we do Christmas Party Poppers right before the meal. They contain a tiny gift, sometimes jokes or trivia and a paper party hat. While at Michael's earlier this week, I ran across Thanksgiving Party Poppers! They have the same contents, but with a Thanksgiving theme on the outside of the popper. My family loved it! It was fun to share a tradition from one side of my family with the other.




Last week in Girl Scouts, Rainbow Girl was asked what her favorite Thanksgiving food was. Without hesitation, she answered "Strawberries." I knew then that I should have strawberries at Thanksgiving! We've never had them with the meal before that I remember, but that is what she wanted!


My Love and I

My Brother's fabulous lady.

Sugar Bear wearing part of his turkey craft.
The day after Thanksgiving, the winery that we helped harvest grapes for hosted a celebration with food, drinks and T-shirts for all that harvested. They even ordered tiny shirts for the kids!! 

On the same day, one of my great friends was hosting a mommy get together. While my mom and the kids were enjoying the omnivore meal spread at the winery, I went a few minutes down the road to visit with a few great friends and enjoy some great conversation and wonderful vegan food! Major thanks to her for making things that I could eat! 

After visiting for a while, I rejoined my mom at the winery for my complimentary glass of wine for helping with the harvest. We then went for a quick visit with my Grandma before heading back to our neck of the woods.




A few days later, we headed to my inlaw's house mid-afternoon for visiting and belated Thanksgiving dinner. Nana and Grandpa were in town visiting from Canada and that made the visit even more special.

My sister in law took Rainbow Girl, my mother in law, Nana in law and myself to the location of her upcoming wedding. It was beautiful! The house is beautifully furnished and they have about thirty peacocks! I am very much looking forward to her special day. I will be a bride's maid, and Rainbow Girl will be the flower girl!

We took a beautiful walk around the property collecting peacock feathers to be used in the flower bouquets for the wedding.











We all went back to my inlaw's house for a gingerbread craft and Thanksgiving supper. 







No comments:

Post a Comment