Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Water/Light Table

I had wanted an inside water table for my kids for a long time, so we decided to build one! Luckily, my fantastic dad helped out yet again and built and painted the frame for our table. The bins I purchased from Target. It is very useful to have lids for the table, and conveniently, bins come with lids!

Playing with waterbeads with friends.

Frozen Snack!
Our Discovery Bottles!
So I had gotten my wish of a water table, but now what I had to have was a light table! Whew are those expensive! I looked into making one. I thought about using frosted plexiglass for the tops, but decided that would be too expensive. I bought another set of the same bins I used in the water table and went about frosting the lids.


My lids and my frosting spray paint! I recommend lightly sanding the plastic first before painting so that the paint adheres to the surface better. My first attempt, I did not sand and the paint peeled.

Valspar Frosting Spray Paint

Now for the lights. I opted for LEDs, but these in particular flicker eeeeever so slightly. Enough to bug me, but the kids don't mind one bit.

I thought about painting the inside of my bins to channel the light upward instead of letting it flow out of the clear bin, but decided to go with foil to not only channel the light but hopefully amplify and reflect it 
My foil lined bin, glued to the bin with Elmer's glue. 
Lights evenly spread, taped down to prevent slipping around, with both ends coming out the top of the back.

TaDa!

I slid the light bins right into the water table bins, connected the two boxes' light strands and we were ready to go! 


Our new favorite thing is playing with the water table with the light bins underneath!

No comments:

Post a Comment