Monday, August 13, 2012

Potty Training

Many folks have asked me my "method" for potty training. How did I get my 20 month old son to start using the potty? What is my magical, wondrous method you say? Its ridiculously simple.

Give up diapers. Completely. 

That it. That's my magical method.

Put the child in underwear. Having pants on too helps. Always have a wee portable potty in whatever room in the house you are in. Suggest trips to the big potty. Always bring the child with you when you go potty and suggest they go as well. Always bring wee potty in a bag on outings if child prefers to peepee on it. For the first few days, possibly weeks, there will likely be accidents here and there. Always bring a couple pairs of extra clothes on all outings.

Give up diapers completely? Even in bed? Yes. If you continue to put the wee one in diapers, they will tend to save all their output for those times. "Oh boy! It's naptime! I'll get a diaper and I can finally poop!" Have a waterproof liner and or disposable blue pads on the bed. Many folks put down a waterproof liner, fitted sheet, another waterproof liner and another fitted sheet for quick changes in case of an accident- just strip the top layer off.

In response to accidents, do NOT demean or berate the child. They will likely already be embarrassed. Respond by gently reminding the child that "We go peepee/poopoo on the potty" while bringing the child to the potty. Suggest that they sit even if they don't have anything left- but do not force them to sit.  Sugar Bear quite liked helping clean up after an accident.

My Personal Experience
Rainbow Girl always liked to sit on the potty, but never really did anything on it. I would replace her diaper, and regularly, she would then peepee. It was frustrating, but I didn't want to clean up peepee off the floor- so diapers it was. Once I decided to give up diapers (It was in my life before cloth and I had run out!), we never looked back! She was two and a half. I put her directly in big girl panties, she had one accident- did NOT like how it felt having wet pants, and has never had another accident.

Sugar Bear was a different story. I was cleaning out Rainbow Girl's closet one day and took out her little, pink, Baby Bjorn potty. Sugar Bear spotted it, took off his diaper, sat on it, and went peepee. Wow. That's what I call potty readiness. We never put on another diaper.

The first couple days, I let him run around bottomless. He had two very tiny accidents per day- usually on the way to his potty, or while very distracted. Then I put him in underwear and pants. He had much fewer accidents clothed. It's uncomfortable to have wet pants! On the third day, we had a trip to Target. We went peepee when we got there, and went again before we left. No accidents!

On the fourth day, he pooped on my parents rug. Hey, accidents happen.

He has had a few night time accidents here and there, but since getting through that first few days, he has very much enjoyed being a big boy and using the potty.


This method will not work for everyone. I am not, by any means, a potty training expert. Just sharing my experience. Several folks I have shared with have had success. A big factor in potty training success is potty readiness. If baby is not ready, they're just not ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment