Sunday, August 5, 2012

Doll Ring Sling

Rainbow Girl absolutely adores her Waldorf doll, Mary. She has taken her practically everywhere since  Mary's "Birthday". Very soon after receiving her sweet doll, she said to me, "Mommy, I need a ring sling to carry Mary so that I can take her everywhere to see the world!" How could I deny that request!?

We have quite a stash of fabric at home, but none that really looked good on both sides of the fabric- a must for a ring sling. We went to the fabric store together and Rainbow Girl picked out a blue fabric that we decided we could use for both her sing sling as well as one for Sugar Bear. Then we went to my personal favorite section of the store- the remnant pile. <3 That is where I found this beautiful Swiss dot with embroidered flowers fabric. $3 for 1.25 yards. Score. Later, Rainbow Girl decided on this fabric to use for her sling.

I ordered my rings from Sling Rings. These rings are size small pink rings with an inner diameter 2" and an outer diameter 2.5". I also ordered Sugar Bear some black rings for his sling.

My fabric was roughly 4ft long (1.25 yards) by 60" wide. I began by cutting it in half length wise, so I had two lengths of 1.25 yards by 30".
My next step was to fold over and iron down (or don't iron if you're too cool for that) all the raw edges.

Then sew over all the raw edges.

Using one of the short ends, make an accordion with the fabric. I made mine about 3.5 inches wide. making it much smaller would make it difficult to sew over and bulky to wear.

Thread the accordion through your two rings and spread out the front of the sling slightly before sewing it down. I did a straight stitch as well as two passes of zig zag stitches. Possibly overkill, but no dollies will be harmed in this sling due to the negligence of it's fabricator.
I am not super pleased with the spread of the pleats, and I wish I curved the stitching slightly.

I woke up Rainbow Girl from her slumber to try it on. Can you tell that she is pleased?

Happy doll mama.

She was SO very pleased to be able to wear her baby the next day at the Big Latch On at The Capitol in Richmond. She even asked if I would please wear my baby in our ring sling so that we could match. Of course my dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment