Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Ice Box Cucumbers

One of my absolute favorite summertime snacks is Ice Box Cucumbers, cherry tomatoes still warm after being freshly picked from the backyard and crackers. It tastes like summer to me.

My mom's recipe is: 
1 1/2 c. cold water
1 1/2 c. vinegar
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 tbsp. onion flakes
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. celery seed
4 med. cucumbers thinly sliced

Pack cucumbers in jars, leaving an inch and a half to two inches at the top. Whisk together remaining ingredients and divide that mixture among the jars. Shake and chill. 

I always tend to make double the recipe and give several jars of it's deliciousness away to friends and family. 

These four English cucumbers are about a foot long each. Each about the length of two cucumbers, effectively doubling the recipe.

I used the food processor to slice the cucumbers in warp speed. I find that the more thin the slices are, the more delicious they are to me. Everyone's tastes are different though. Experiment! 
Packed Jars

Just waiting for the yummy mixture! 
Yum. Summer perfection. In the fridge it goes.



No comments:

Post a Comment